Ceramic Braces in Post Office Square, Boston, MA
Ceramic braces are a great option for people who want to straighten their smile but do not want to deal with metal braces. Ceramic or porcelain braces in Post Office Square are virtually invisible, ideal for teens who are insecure about braces or adults who do not want orthodontic treatment to interfere with work commitments.
How Ceramic Braces Work
Ceramic braces are similar to traditional metal braces in that they are made up of three basic components:
- Brackets: The brackets, in this case, are made of porcelain or ceramic. They have a small indentation in the middle where the archwire sits. The brackets are bonded to the front surfaces of all your teeth.
- An archwire: The archwire is made of a transparent material instead of metal (which is normal for traditional braces). The strong but relatively thin wire fits inside each one of the brackets. It is what guides your teeth to shift into the correct positions. Every few weeks, the archwire is adjusted to make sure your teeth continue to shift.
- Rubber bands: Rubber bands are placed around the brackets to hold the archwire in place. You can choose from white or clear rubber bands or have some fun with multiple color options.
Why You Should Consider Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment is important for correcting crooked, crowded teeth. But there is more to it than achieving a straighter smile.
When your teeth and jaw are misaligned, undue pressure is placed upon certain teeth and your facial muscles. When your teeth are properly aligned, you have equal bite pressure, which means you reduce your risk of cracked, broken, chipped, or sore teeth. Similarly, an aligned bite eases pressure on facial muscles, preventing chronic, painful conditions like TMJ disorder.
How to Care for Your Teeth While in Braces
After you receive your ceramic braces in Post Office Square, you will need to follow a careful oral hygiene routine. Thankfully, it is very similar to your normal routine.
- Brushing: You will need to brush your teeth at least twice a day. However, due to how easy it is for food to get stuck around the archwire and brackets, you might find it necessary to brush after every meal. If possible, use an electric toothbrush as it will provide a more thorough cleaning.
- Flossing: Flossing should occur once a day, preferably at night. It will take longer than usual to floss your teeth, but it is absolutely worth it to prevent gum disease and dental decay. Your braces are an investment in a beautiful smile. Practicing good home care will protect your investment. You will need to use floss threaders to thread the floss between the archwire and your teeth. Again, it will take some time, but if you floss while watching television or listening to your favorite music, the time will pass quickly.
Concerned About Esthetics? We Have Solutions
Gone are the days when you had to settle for metal braces. You have options! Your Post Office Square dentist wants to help you achieve a beautiful smile in a way that works best for you. If you are concerned about your appearance because of insecurity, upcoming special events, or work obligations, we totally understand. We will work with you to find the best option that fits all your needs – even the esthetic ones.
Would you like a straighter smile? Contact us today at (857) 578-2200 to schedule an orthodontic consultation.